Welcome, Guest
Remember me

TOPIC:

Will Mobile Apps and the Pursuit of Mobility Drive More BPM Adoption? 6 years 11 months ago #474

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Will mobile apps and the pursuit of mobility drive more BPM adoption, will business side-step BPM and go straight to mobile app development, or are the two unrelated?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Will Mobile Apps and the Pursuit of Mobility Drive More BPM Adoption? 6 years 11 months ago #475

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Tangentially related, yes, a rising tide and all that. As databases and middleware have enabled some things universally in the past, including for BPM, so too will mobile. It makes more things possible and BPM will have those instances, those applications where it can and will leverage mobile to accomplish a given goal or objective that may not necessarily have been possible previously. But will it directly drive BPM adoption? No.

Just my tuppence.

Re: Will Mobile Apps and the Pursuit of Mobility Drive More BPM Adoption? 6 years 11 months ago #476

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Any organization that uses mobility as a catalyst for BPM adoption has missed the point. BPM is all about improving the efficiency of work, and while mobility can certainly play a major role, it is simply an(other) enabler of what should be the overriding objective.

Re: Will Mobile Apps and the Pursuit of Mobility Drive More BPM Adoption? 6 years 11 months ago #477

• Visitor
  • Visitor
I won't drive BPM adoption directly, so with Patrick on this one, nor will the business side-step into mobile app dev and forgo BPM.
It all depends on the purpose and use case, mobile strategies internal and external may have different goals.

For example:
I develop a mobile app for my sales force to submit expense claims on the go without a paper trail; that's an example of efficiency and taking advantage of newer technologies to streamline a traditional and mundane back office process, it'll drive an organization to review other processes that could innovate in the same way to make life easier and then as a consequence improve other downstream processes. That knock on effect may lead to further automation and potentially into adopting BPM tools and techniques to streamline further. But then they may not.

Mobile is another channel to interact directly with process but like I wrote a while back, having 'an app for that' is not a mobile strategy.

Re: Will Mobile Apps and the Pursuit of Mobility Drive More BPM Adoption? 6 years 11 months ago #478

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Agree wit previous comments. BPM is daily businesses and for sure processes can benefit from mobile.

And you see it in many processes these days; in hospitals, insurance, training etc.

A process is not a BPMS and not a mobile application. But all those tools can be used to support the execution, management and improvement of process. So, take what fits best.

Of course I prefer mobile, so I can do my job when I'm 20 feet under water in the Carribean.

Re: Will Mobile Apps and the Pursuit of Mobility Drive More BPM Adoption? 6 years 11 months ago #479

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Should not drive general adoption of BPM but will be included and become more prominent. "Compliance" will always be an issue but nothing that can't be addressed might even help knowing where and when business was undertaken? So Emiel you may have a few questions about what business you were doing 20 feet under water in the Caribbean!

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds