Welcome, Guest
Remember me

TOPIC:

What Is the Best Way to Build an Executable Process Model? 4 years 5 months ago #4150

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
<p>
From a comment <a href=" www.bplogix.com/ ">E. Scott Menter made on bpm.com/bpm-today/in-the-forum/what-is-a...is-doomed-to-failure ">this discussion where he wrote: "Flowcharts (including IMHO BPMN) are simply not a great way to build an executable process model." What do you think?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: What Is the Best Way to Build an Executable Process Model? 4 years 5 months ago #4151

• Visitor
  • Visitor
<div>
When reading the question, one thing keeps on resonating in my head: "what does executing mean?"</div>
<div>
 </div>
<div>
Because doing all steps in a process on paper or with notepad is also executing a process. I don't need a process model for that. So probably it means something like "done by some kind of machine that needs to be told what to do."</div>
<div>
 </div>
<div>
But then again; before being able to answer the question, what is the machine, the process should be executed in:</div>
<div>
 </div>
<div>
- in a vending machine?</div>
<div>
 </div>
<div>
- a multifunction printer?</div>
<div>
 </div>
<div>
- in a car manufacturing robot?</div>
<div>
 </div>
<div>
- in a workflow tool?</div>
<div>
 </div>
<div>
- on a website?</div>
<div>
 </div>
<div>
So this drills down to good old BPM questions like:</div>
<div>
 </div>
<div>
- what processes are we talking about?</div>
<div>
 </div>
<div>
- what are the desired process results?</div>
<div>
 </div>
<div>
- What are the desired characteristics of the process (not only machines/tools?</div>
<div>
 </div>
<div>
- if needed, what is a good way to support the executing, monitoring, management and improving of those processes by machines/tools</div>
<div>
 </div>
<div>
and maybe then; what is the best way to "feed the machine?"</div>
<div>
 </div>
<div>
Instead of inventing the next "standard" for executable process models.</div>

Re: What Is the Best Way to Build an Executable Process Model? 4 years 5 months ago #4152

• Visitor
  • Visitor
<p>
Process models that are immediately executable seems like a popular request this industry has been asking for. When I think about what that looks like I get a lot of questions about what the requirements would be and what would define success (from a software aspect). Here are a couple questions that come to mind.<br />
<br />
<strong>Who would the primary audience be?</strong><br />
(contractors/consultants, citizen developers, "non technical" business pros)</p>
<p>
<strong>What would the primary purpose of the process model be?</strong><br />
(primarily human or primarily system processes)</p>
<p>
<strong>Should the users of the process be able to dynamically define new tasks?</strong><br />
(primarily human processes building through doing)<br />
<br />
<strong>How simple would the integrations need to be to other systems?</strong><br />
(primarily system processes push/pulling data)<br />
<br />
Those are a few of the questions I would have for this group. I'm very interested in this topic as I am actively working on solving this issue. I look forward to any insights. Also, how much does our previous conversation about jargon play into this?<br />
</p>

Re: What Is the Best Way to Build an Executable Process Model? 4 years 5 months ago #4153

• Visitor
  • Visitor
<p>
Flowcharting (draging and droping objects on a graphic canvas or sheet) i.e.nodes, arcs, directional arrows and very little more is the approach of choice for building an executable process model (for modeling) and for generating a run time production process template (for work performance, for monitoring of progress and data sharing).</p>
<p>
When you are done (i.e. done building), you press the compile button.</p>
<p>
Rick has raised good questions . . .</p>
<p>
<strong>Who would the primary audience be?</strong><br />
(contractors/consultants, citizen developers, "non technical" business pros)</p>
<p>
<strong>What would the primary purpose of the process model be?</strong><br />
(primarily human OR primarily system processes OR any mix of the two)</p>
<p>
<strong>Should the users of the process be able to dynamically define new tasks?</strong><br />
(yes, during modeling by re-mapping, re-compiling and then, at run time, via insertion of ad hoc tasks within a Case Management environment)<br />
<br />
<strong>How simple would the integrations need to be to other systems?</strong><br />
(primarily system processes push/pulling data i.e. via a generic data exchanger that allows publishers to post data they are willing to share using their native data element names and allows subscribers to read data on a need-to-know basis using their native data element names. You then need a new data transport format for each subscriber who is unable to use one for the on-file data transport formats.</p>

Re: What Is the Best Way to Build an Executable Process Model? 4 years 5 months ago #4154

• Visitor
  • Visitor
<p>
For the sake of a focused discussion, I'll also assume that this is about machine-executable process models.</p>
<p>
While there is no best way to build them, as each of us have their own tools of the trade, I believe that there are a few traits that make them generally better (for customers), in today's world (shall I call them the "laws of modern executable process models"? nah :-) ):</p>
<p>
a/ they are following some interchangeable, open, standard so they could lower the vendor lock-in by being able to run on multiple standard-abiding engines;</p>
<p>
b/ they must be designed with a microservices mindset (distributed, expandable, largely independent chunks of business logic);</p>
<p>
c/ they must be accompanied by a harmonized, canonical, data model;</p>
<p>
d/ they must be accompanied by an interface concept that follows the user journeys flowing from a/ and the information design requirements flowing from c/.</p>
<p>
From the best of our experience, a great process-driven application architecture for such process models is of type MSVVM.</p>

Re: What Is the Best Way to Build an Executable Process Model? 4 years 5 months ago #4155

• Visitor
  • Visitor
<p>
From my book, subclause 2.5</p>
<p>
... the following essential requirements for the ideal process development tool.</p>
<p>
- A BPMN-like modelling notation should use a standard execution semantic which can be validated and which guarantees the adequate interpretation of models by different software for different uses, e.g. for functional testing, performance simulation and execution.</p>
<p>
- It should be possible to represent the same business process model with different levels of detail, e.g. a high-level view for a normal user, and a more detailed view for a business analyst.</p>
<p>
- There should be a modelling procedure [and patterns] which guide different stakeholders how to use these different levels of detail.</p>
<p>
- Details of the execution of business processes should come from a coherent set of standards, similar to that provided by the W3C for HTML: a) xHTML for structure and content, b) CSS for presentation, c) DOM-based API for dynamic modifications, and d) some other specialized standards.</p>
<p>
- Different types of artefact [data, rules, events, roles, reports, automation] should be easily accessible from a business process development environment.</p>
<p>
- It should be easy to plug additional DSL-like tools for the explicit definition of relationships between artefacts into the business process development environment.</p>
<p>
- It should be possible to reduce and eventually eliminate the need for the explicit use of intermediate formats such as BPEL and XPDL.</p>
<p>
- It should be possible to offer some techniques for improving the comprehensibility of business processes by all stakeholders.</p>
<p>
And</p>
<p>
+ Various coordination techniques are available.</p>
<p>
Thanks,</p>
<p>
AS</p>

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds