One Technology Helps You Put Your Ideas Of Work To Work
So many technologies! So much business pressure to digitize! So much complexity! Where should we spend our limited time?
Business Process Management software technology is clearly a technology that might help us as business people achieve business objectives.
But what if BPM software technology (“BPM”) is more than just another technology?
What if BPM is in fact the technology that should be the core of our efforts? Knowing with confidence that we had a sensible place to start our digitization efforts would be very helpful.
BPM is in fact that place to start! This Paper will show you why.
This Paper itself is the first of a series on the revolutionary potential of BPM technology. Here is the plan for the series:
BPM Technology As Revolutionary Enabler Paper Series
- Why BPM Is Unique & Important: Work & Process As First-Class
- Minimum Viable Definition Of BPM: Power To The People
- Challenges Of Being A BPM Pioneer: Using Technology Effectively
- Adoption Futures & BPM Institutionalization: Technology As Social Process
Our series starts with a look at why BPM is important, at the real meaning of BPM technology, and how that meaning sometimes gets lost. The “Minimum Viable Definition” of BPM software technology helps us recover the core value of the technology. BPM technology includes both software technology and as well the social technologies and business practices which can be grouped under the label of "BPM methodologies" which are covered in Papers III & IV.
Minimum Viable Definition of Business Process Management (“BPM”) Software Technology
Let’s begin with a definition of BPM software technology. This is the “Minimum Viable Definition”; in the subsequent Paper II we’ll explore the background of the Definition.
BPM software technology is unique because no other technology can be described as “directly about automating the work of business”.
And “directly about” is possible because of the first-class citizenship in BPM software technology of the ideas of “work and process”. BPM software technology has native support for the language of work and process that business people can directly use to express their plans for automation.
BPM software technology provides opportunity; for that opportunity to be realized, it needs to be combined with leadership and investment. That combination of powerful technology and business leadership will open the door to real, measurable, positive and affordable business change. For these reasons, BPM software technology is the ideal starting place for your digitalization journey.
See Paper II for a full exploration of the Minimum Viable Definition of BPM software automation technology. Paper II concerns technical challenges of BPM technology. And Paper IV covers social aspects of BPM software technology promotion and adoption.
A Little Background On The History of BPM Technology Adoption
For decades, and formerly known as workflow, one of the most seductively promising business technologies has been business process management software technology. Especially today, with the wide perception of business disruption and digitization, the intuitive allure that BPM is the way to build new business offerings is stronger than ever.
So, given that business intuition, plus the real experience of BPM success stories and even a decade of hype, BPM software technology should almost “sell itself”. And indeed, BPM software is now explicitly part of many company technology portfolios, and implicitly part of major software applications.
But as for “selling itself”, and as any sales person knows (and as a sales person I know this too), nothing “sells itself”.
Especially BPM software doesn’t sell itself. Despite it’s natural attraction, for multiple reasons the pace of BPM technology adoption has been fairly “slow”.1
What is the challenge in selling BPM?
Beyond the feel-good BPM sales slide deck, BPM technology often reveals itself as requiring a major IT commitment. There are lots of success stories, certainly, but fewer than we had hoped for. Even for those who have taken the plunge, current BPM software too often turns out to be exactly that – the big IT commitment and technology grid-lock that everyone fears.
Yet despite these reservations, the expectation of both business people and technologists remain, an expectation that BPM technology does indeed have huge potential. This is one of the reasons for this Paper series, to make a case for adopting BPM software technology that is beyond intuition. And as for the challenges in BPM adoption, improved BPM technology combined with good BPM software technology management can make all the difference for a successful BPM programme.
Paper Road Map
There are four papers in the Series: Explore BPM Technology As Revolutionary Enabler:
- This first Paper, “Why BPM Is Unique & Important”, introduces the exciting topic of BPM software technology and why BPM so relevant to business today. Work, process and modeling are revealed as built-in to BPM software, enabling rapid construction of new business capabilities. Published in five parts.
- The second Paper, “Minimum Viable Definition Of BPM”, introduces the whole BPM ecosystem but then zeros in on the Minimum Viable Definition. Promotion and adoption of BPM software technology is facilitated when the unique value of core BPM is clear. Published in one part.
- The third Paper, “Challenges Of Being A BPM Pioneer”, highlights technical keys to success for a BPM programme. BPM software technology is not mature, and “results may vary”. However, there are ways of narrowing the “cone of outcomes” for your BPM programme.
- The fourth Paper, “Adoption Process & BPM Institutionalization”, covers how BPM software technology adoption can accelerate beyond the current technology grid-lock, a process which is less about technology and more about community.