Part 3 of a Series
The architectures are connected through the application of a set of analytics based on the phrase structure of the models. This technique is described as ‘phrase analytics’ and are semantic in nature but not the same as the popular text analytics of today that deal with analyzing document or web semantics.
More on the Four Types of Architecture
The least understood right now is articulating and using architecture that is a view of the external and strategic perspectives of an organization. This is separate from the idea of strategic planning although an overlap exists. This is the area along with the external view that is receiving a lot of attention today.
In order to define the strategic business architecture the following is needed:
- Showing what a core external architecture might look like
- Showing the linkage to the strategic business architecture
- Defining generic actions, objects, decisions and other components in the Strategic Architecture
- Addressing the linkage needed to connect with the business architecture
- Identifying what types of transitional architectures might be needed.
- Providing a set of standard and common analytics to assess impact, comparative analysis, clustering for predictive/hidden relationships and ranking of options and business structural action as the architectures and analytics for transition are orchestrated.
External or Landscape Architecture
The external architecture is also called the landscape architecture. It describes the external influences on the organization that impact the direction the organization will take going forward. Sometimes the view is many years long and sometimes it can be days depending on the type of business. Utilities for example have a long term view and are often impacted by long term changes in their environment such as legislation, deep social trends, major technology shifts and other market forces. On line businesses such as music downloads, video, digital media and financial institutions may be impacted by short term social trends and need a much more rapid reaction time to the environment.